Had been longing for these little pieces of heaven for almost a year as I didnt bring the paniyaram pan with me when we moved abroad. We can make paniyaram with idli batter too. But this way of making separate batter for paniyaram gives best results. As we are adding raw rice,the paniyaram comes out to be lightning white inside and soft, spongy due to poha.
For Batter :
Idly rice - 2 cups
Raw rice/Pacharisi - 1/2 cup
Poha - 1/2 cup
whole ural - 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
For Tempering :
1. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
2. Ural dhal - 1 tsp
3. Bengal gram - 1 tsp
4. Small Onion - 5
5. Green chilli - 2
6. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
7. Carrot - 1 small
1. Soak idly rice and raw rice for 3 hrs. Soak whole ural dhal and fenugreek for 1 hour.
2. Wash and soak poha in little water for 2 minutes.
3. Grind everything together. Preferably grinder gives best results.
4. Add salt finally and leave the batter for 12 hrs.
5. while the batter is ready for preparation,take a pan and pour 2 tsp of oil.
6. Then add all the ingredients given under "For tempering" without changing the order.
7. Fry for a while until the onion turns translucent , and leave it to cool down.
8. Now add the tempering to the batter.
9. Drop spoonful of a batter on to the paniyaram pan and cook( in medium flame only).
10 . Turn the paniyarams slowly and let it to cook on both sides.
11. Serve with coconut chutney/Idly milagai podi.(yup..they are the best combo!!!).