Mango Sambar has become one among my list of favourites in recent times. The raw mango when added to dhal and tamarind paste gives a nice sweet and tangy taste. However the taste of sambar highly depends on the type of raw mango that one uses. Had been trying sambar with almost all veggies and this post is one among them. Letz straightaway jump into the post.
1. Mango - 1
2. Toor dhal - 1/2 cup(1 cup = 250 ml )
3. Tamarind - 1 small lemon size
4. Mustard - 1 tsp
5. Red chilli - 2(deseeded)
6. White ural dhal - 1 tsp
7. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
8. Small onion - 4
9. Sambar Powder - 1-2 tsp
10.Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
11. Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
12. Salt - As required
13. Coriander leaves - To garnish
1. Pressure cook toor dhal with 2 cloves of garlic and 1tsp of gingerly oil and minimum water.
2. Cut mango into slightly bigger pieces.
3. Take a pan and pour 1 Tbsp of oil to it.
4. Then add mustard seeds. When it sputters, add red chilli, ural dhal, onion and curry leaves to it.
5. Then add the chopped mango and fry for a while.
6. Add the water from cooked toor dhal and then add turmeric, sambar and chilli powders along with salt.
7. Mango gets cooked faster. So when it is done add the toor dhal to it and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
8. Meanwhile extract tamarind paste. And then add this to the pan.
9. Allow it to cook for 7 more minutes. Then switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. It goes very well with rice/idli/dosa.