Millets are getting popular these days. I came across a comparative food chart in a book which showed the nutritious benefits of millets n rice. Then I decided to include each variety of millet every week. There are lots of things we can do to make our younger generation healthy. For example, we can make payasam with thinai(foxtail millet),saamai (little millet)curd rice , varagu rice (kodo millet)with kathirikai kuzhambu(brinjal gravy) , sola paniyaaram etc . Pongal is one of my husband's favourite dish. And after having millet meal , he encouraged me to try all millet recipes. This is the first time that Im trying this pongal. And it was a big hit in my house. It is too healthy and delicious too...just give a try and for sure u will love it too..
1.Barnyard Millet - 1 cup
2.Split green gram/ Moong dal - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
3. Salt to taste
To Temper :
1.Finely chopped ginger - 1 tbsp
2.Pepper - 1tbsp
3.Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
4.Curry leaves - 1 sprig
5.Asafoetida - 1 pinch
6.Cashews - 6 to 8
7.Ghee - 2 tbsp.
1. Wash the Millet and soak it along with moong dhal in water for 20 mins.
2. Add 4 cups of water,salt,1 tbsp of ghee and cook in open until the water boils.
3. Then close the lid and cook for 12-15 mins in low flame.
4. The whistle may come, if not, switch off the flame.
5. Take a pan and add ghee and add the items given under "To temper".
6. Then add this to the pressure cooked millet and mix well.
7. Serve with coconut chutney or Sambar.