Chow chow sambar is one of the basic sambars and the most simple one too. I got this recipe from my mom and the taste of the sambar has never changed even once. But one must be careful while adding water to it while boiling dhal. Too much water can easily spoil it. And should not leave the veggie to overcook. No need to worry about adding tamarind as this recipe doesn't call for it. Now go ahead and have a satisfying meal with this sambar. If you have spicy tindora/spicy veg poriyal along with it, then that would be heavenly !!! .
1. Chow Chow - 1
2. Toor dhal - 1/2 cup
3.Tomato - 1 small
4. Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
5. Sambar powder - 2-3 tsp
6. Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
7. Salt and oil - as required
8. Garlic - 2 cloves
To Temper :
1. Red chilli - 2
2. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
3. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
4. Ural dhal - 1 tsp(Optional)
5. Small onion - 4
6. Finely chopped coriander - 1 sprig
1.Pressure cook toordhal for 2 whistles along with turmeric powder, garlic and water.
2. Chop chowchow as shown in fig.
3.Take a pan and add chopped chow chow .Along with it add the water from the boiled dhal.
4. Now add finely chopped tomato , sambar powder ,red chilli powder and salt.
5. Let them cook for 5- 10 mins. After chow chow is been cooked, add boiled dhal.
6. Temper the items given separately and add to the pan.
7. Serve with rice, idly or dosa.