A beautiful biryani recipe where the flavour and aroma of chana enriches the taste of rice . Just like mushroom and chicken, the chana also has an inherent power to make the biryani awesome. It is an easy alternative to the age old regular biryanis especially when there are no veggies sitting in the fridge. This biryani will taste heavenly if made more spicy .
1. White chana - 1/2 cup (1 cup= 210 mL)
2. Big Onion - 1 (thinly sliced lengthwise)
3. Tomato - 1
4. Mint leaves - 1/2 cup
5. Coriander leaves - few sprigs
6. Green chilli - 2 to 3
7. Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
8. Biryani masala powder - 1 tsp
9. Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
10. Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
11. Cinnamon - 1 or 2
12. Cloves - 2
13. Elachi - 2
14. Bay leaves - 1
2. Add cinnamon,cloves and bay leaves.
3. Then add onion and green chilli. Saute for few minutes until it is brown.
4. Add ginger garlic paste . When the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off, add tomato.
5. Then add mint and coriander leaves. Saute for a while.
6. Now add turmeric, red chilli and biryani masala powders.
7. Saute for few minutes and then add rice and saute for 2 minutes.
8. Then add Water (water and rice should be 2:1 ratio) .
9.When the water boils, close the lid and then pressure cook for 2 whistles.
10 . Squeeze little lemon before serving. Serve hot.